Electoral Area A is all the areas of Metro Vancouver that do not fall within a municipality (such as the City of Vancouver). The largest communities within Electoral Area A is the University Endowment Lands (UEL) and UBC areas (including academic areas and the University Neighbourhoods, where I live with my family). Other areas include rural communities on Barnston Island and on some portions of Pitt Lake, Howe Sound and Indian Arm. Electoral Area A is represented by its Director at Metro Vancouver and the Mayors’ Council on Regional Transportation, which are the regional decision-making bodies for a number of key issues that impact our communities.
- Regional transportation (including the proposed Skytrain extension to UBC)
- Regional land use planning
- Management of Regional District parks, including Pacific Spirit Regional Park in the UEL/UBC area and Robert Point Rest Area and Mann Point on Barnston Island
- Affordable housing through Metro Vancouver Housing Corporation
- Water, waste management and air quality management